In the wake of Iran’s missile attack on two the U.S. bases in Iraq, some European countries said no casualties was reported among their soldiers.
Early Wednesday, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq.
The missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases where U.S. military and coalition personnel are stationed, at Al-Asad and Erbil.
Iran said Wednesday’s attack came in response to the U.S. killing of the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, Qasem Soleimani, last week.
His death marked a dramatic escalation in tensions between the U.S. and Iran, which have often been at a fever pitch since President Donald Trump chose in 2018 to unilaterally withdraw Washington from a 2015 nuclear pact world powers struck with Tehran.
Today’s attacks continued a series of tit-for-tat recriminations between the U.S. and Iranian-backed forces that began with the killing of an American contractor at a U.S. base in Iraq late last month.
British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab condemned the attack in a written statement and voiced concern for possible casualties and the use of ballistic missiles.
“We urge Iran not to repeat these reckless and dangerous attacks, and instead to pursue urgent de-escalation,” he said.
“A war in the Middle East would only benefit Daesh and other terrorist groups,” it added.
Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak also said no Polish troops was hurt in the Iranian attacks.
“None of the Polish soldiers in Iraq were hurt in rocket attacks on Al-Asad and Erbil bases. We are in constant contact with the commander of the Polish Military Contingent in Iraq,” Blaszczak said on Twitter.
Separately, the Danish Armed Forces and Lithuanian Defense Ministry said none of their troops were injured or killed in the strike.
According to the Iran state-run television, 80 U.S. citizens killed in the ballistic missile attacks on Iraqi military bases.